29 Palms Creative Center & Gallery
Open Tuesday – Saturday 11am-5pm By Appointment Only
6847 Adobe Road, Twentynine Palms CA
(760) 361- 3461
The 29 Palms Creative Center & Gallery offers a wide variety of art classes and activities for children, adults and art parties. The gallery is open to the public and is an excellent place to shop for a gift or keepsake of any size. The Creative Center is located on the West End of the property here at the Inn, a 10 minute walk or stroll from the front desk/library.
Binoculars are available to lend to our guests
In 1929 the Oasis of Mara was described as a fan palm oasis with four ponds which regularly overflowed about a half mile to the north. We now know that the Oasis of Mara formed along the Pinto Mountain Fault approximately 9,000 years ago and water has been available since. Undoubtedly, birds immediately found this water source.
The Oasis offers all the essentials for migrating birds such as food, water, and cover to rest, escape predators, get out of the sun, and in the springtime a place to nest. The Oasis can be seen from above, and from far away, with the mile-long green line of Washingtonia palms saying “land here”.
Over the years there have been 180 different types of birds documented here on our grounds, 146 of which have been added to the eBird database.
We invite you to come birding at the 29 Palms Inn, and to participate by submitting all observations to the eBird database. This database provides scientists, researchers and naturalists with real-time data about bird distribution and by submitting your findings it not only allows researchers to learn more about the birds you find, but also, and equally important, the birds the you didn’t find in the area. All of this information combined helps researchers better understand bird behavior in response to environmental change.
29 Palms Inn Bird Checklist [PDF]
29 Palms Inn eBird website
This checklist is a quick look at what one might expect to find as you stroll the grounds of the Inn or take the Oasis of Mara Nature Trail from the Joshua Tree National Park Visitors Center. The most common types are marked with a C on the list. Depending on the time of year more migrants will be observed.
Get to Know Twentynine Palms
- Sky’s the Limit Observatory and Nature Center, Twentynine Palms
- Twentynine Palms Astronomy Club
- Joshua Tree Excursions, Joshua Tree
- Joshua Tree Rock Climbing School
- Cliffhangers Guides, Joshua Tree
- Joshua Tree Rock Climbing Guides & Instruction
- Coyote Ridge Stable, Morongo Valley
- Joshua Tree National Park Association’s Desert Institute
- Annual JTNP Bird Count
Art Galleries, Museums & Nature Centers
- 29 Palms Creative Center & Gallery
- 29 Palms Historical Society Old Schoolhouse Museum
- 29 Palms Gallery & Artist Guild
- Joshua Tree Art Gallery
- Noah Purifoy’s Outdoor Desert Art Museum
- Morongo Basin Cultural Arts Council
- Joshua Tree National Park Council for the Arts
- Yucca Valley Hi-Desert Nature Museum
- Palm Springs Art Museum
Music, Entertainment & Attractions
- Theater 29
- Smith’s Ranch Drive-In Theater, Twentynine Palms
- Hi-Desert Cultural Center, Joshua Tree
- The Integratron, Landers CA
- Pappy & Harriets, Pioneertown
- Mane Street Stampede Wild West Show, Pioneertown
- Joshua Tree Music Festival
- Bhakti Fest, Joshua Tree Retreat Center
- Palm Springs Aerial Tramway